If you are thinking of working after retirement, you can start a home based business in the comfort of your own home.
Listed below are the top 10 home business ideas for retirees:
- Setting up a consultancy business. Turn your knowledge into revenue. Utilise the knowledge and skills you acquired during your working life and set yourself up in a home based consultancy business. This is just an extension of what you have been doing before your retirement, so it should be within your comfort zone.
- Bookkeeping service. Many small businesses cannot justify employing a full time bookkeeper to maintain their books. If you are an experienced bookkeeper you can provide such services to your clients from the comfort of your home.
- Selling in online auctions – There is a ready market for almost anything you want to sell in online auctions such as eBay. You can begin by looking around your house, garage or attic for items such as used clothes, coins, stamps, arts and crafts that you no longer want, and sell them on eBay.
- Online tutoring service. You can provide an academic as well as non-academic courses to help people seeking help or information on a topic. You can grade and sell e-courses for beginner, intermediate or advanced levels. You can also choose to provide the information for free and sell ad space on your website.
- Real estate/letting agency. If you have good knowledge of your local property market, you can set yourself up in business as an estate and/or letting agent. You can display the properties you are selling or letting on behalf of your clients on your website. You then charge your clients an agreed fee or a percentage of the selling price of the property or annual rental value.
- Inventory Service. You can work closely with letting agencies and provide inventory services to landlords and tenants. Your job is to make a list of inventory in the property and the conditions they are in. You can use a camcorder to record the inventory and charge extra if you provide the information on a DVD.
- Web designer. If you can design quality websites, you can start a home based business to provide a web design service. A good and affordable web design service is always in demand as more businesses are selling their products and services online. Most business owners would prefer to focus their attention on running their businesses and leave the web design service to someone else.
- Turn your hobby into a business – e.g. if you enjoy photography you can display your brilliant pictures on your website and sell your services as a professional photographer. You can travel to your clients’ premises to take pictures of corporate events, weddings, anniversaries and other celebrations.
- You can be a travel guide for tour operators or write travel ebooks. If you have good local knowledge of a city or place which is very popular with tourists, you can create a website and write articles on tourist attractions about the place. You can contact tour operators and offer your services as a tour guide of the city or place. Make your knowledge sell by writing ebooks about the city or place and sell them online.
- Senior care service. The increasing number of senior citizens choosing to stay in their own homes means more carers are required to look after them. If you enjoy looking after seniors for a few hours a day to help them with tasks of daily living, then you can set yourself up in business as a non-medical home care provider.
Working after retirement helps to stimulate the mind and kills boredom. It also brings in extra retirement income to supplement your pension.